Sunday, November 13, 2005

Recollections From Uncle Nito


Thanks Omar for sending us Mr. Calero's account of your papa. It certainly is a revelation. Reading it makes me feel proud that I had a brother who accomplished so much in the period of his life while with JWT. And this was only part of his colorful and well-spent life.

Some thoughts I remember of him:

He learned the Mandarin language, always reminding me that one day the Chinese would rule the world. He studied during much of his free time during the Japanese occupation. Never for a moment would you see him wasting his time. He had to keep himself busy.

I'm sure you know about his being a playwright and a director of dramas. He directed Pygmalion and Galatea which was shown in the Metropolitan Opera House, For All Time, Men Love Pink(which he wrote and where your mom was the leading lady), The Toreadors, and several others.

He also tried to compose music which he said might replace our National Anthem because he claimed that our Anthem was rather dragging. However, he never pursued this.

He loved Math,Physics and chemistry. In fact, he tried to experiment on wild plants that he said might actually be edible and medicinal.

One thing he wished for me during the Japanese occupation was that I would go through the war alive so that someday I could write about our lives and experiences during the war--which I never did, of course. If he were alive today he would coax me in doing this.

So far these are the things I can remember offhand. I will try to recall some more.

Best regards to everyone and do write when you can. Thank Julian for having discovered Mr. Calero's account of your papa.

Love,

Uncle Nito

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home